While each and every immigration-related matter is unique in some respects, at Van Der Hout LLP in California, our goal is always the same: a timely and successful outcome for our client obtained by using whatever means are available to us by law.

There are ways of obtaining lawful permanent residence that are only available to individuals from specific countries. Currently, nations such as Nicaragua, Cuba, and Haiti fall into this category. However, change is a constant in immigration law and pending legislation is always just on the horizon. Basic descriptions of important forms of current relief are as follows:

  • The Nicaraguan and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) — In 1997, Congress enacted NACARA, which provides heightened statutory relief to certain individuals from Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, Cuba, and certain Eastern European countries (including regions within the former U.S.S.R.). NACARA is a highly complex piece of legislation that determines relief based largely on country of origin and date of arrival in the United States.
  • Cuban Adjustment Act (CAA) — The Cuban Adjustment Act of 1996 provides for a special procedure under which Cuban natives or citizens, and their accompanying spouses and children, may obtain a haven in the United States as lawful permanent residents. The CAA gives the Attorney General the discretion to grant permanent residence to natives of Cuba or to citizens seeking adjustment of status if they have been present in the United States for at least 1 year after admission or parole and are admissible as immigrants. It is not necessary for the alien to be the beneficiary of a family-based or employment-based immigrant visa petition.
  • Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act (HRIFA) — The Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act was signed into law in 1998. HRIFA allows certain people from Haiti to apply for lawful permanent resident status without having to first apply for an immigrant visa at a United States consulate abroad. HRIFA also waives many of the usual requirements for immigration.
  • E1, E2 and TN visas — We help individuals from other countries seek temporary work visas (E1, E2 and TN visas) according to treaties those countries have with the U.S.

It is important to note that residency is not automatic simply because you may appear to fall into one of these categories. Because of this, talk with an attorney before seeking this type of relief.

Contacting Our Office

Call or contact an immigration attorney directly to schedule an appointment. Initial consultations are provided at a rate discounted from our standard fee.

Spanish and Portuguese Language Services Available