Van Der Hout LLP

Experienced San Francisco R-1 Visa Attorneys

R-1 visas are temporary work visas available to ministers as well as those performing a religious vocation or occupation.

Knowledgeable Immigration Law Firm In California

At Van Der Hout LLP, our San Francisco R-1 visa lawyers have experience seeking and obtaining R-1 visas for religious professionals from all over the world. Call us at 415-981-3000 to obtain more information about your initial consultation.

Qualifications For A Temporary Religious Worker Visa

The U.S. government has in place several requirements that a religious worker and his or her supporting organization must meet before becoming eligible for an R-1 visa. These include the following:

  • The individual must belong to a bona fide religious denomination.
  • The supporting bona fide religious organization in the U.S. must be tax-exempt.
  • The individual intends to work as a minister or other religious worker for that religious organization.
  • The individual has been a member of the supporting religious denomination for at least two years preceding the visa application.
  • The individual must intend to depart the U.S. once the visa has expired.

The prospective employer must file a Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, also known as Form I-129. Once the petition is accepted by the appropriate U.S. authority, the prospective employee can then apply for a visa at his or her local U.S. consular office.

There are also permanent residence options available for ministers, professional religious workers, and those performing religious vocations. Our attorneys can discuss this option with you if you are interested, and will be available to help you through that process.

Contact A California Religious Worker Visa Attorney Today

Call us at 415-981-3000 or contact us through email to schedule your consultation, during which we will provide you with information about R-1 visas and the U.S. application process. Initial consultations are provided at a rate discounted from our standard fee.

Spanish and French Language Services Available .