Valerie Anne Zukin
Valerie Anne Zukin received her Juris Doctorate from Tulane Law School in 2007 and her Bachelor of Arts in Spanish with a concentration in Latin American and Iberian Studies from Haverford College in 2002.
Ms. Zukin joined Van Der Hout, Brigagliano & Nightingale, LLP, in September 2011. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Zukin was a staff attorney with the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project in Tacoma, Washington for four years. She represented immigrants before the Tacoma and Seattle Immigration Courts, USCIS, ICE, the Board of Immigration Appeals, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and provided legal assistance to hundreds of pro se detainees. While practicing in Washington, Ms. Zukin served on the Executive Advisory Board of the Northwest Detention Center Roundtable during its transition from a community coalition to a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
During law school, Ms. Zukin interned with the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society of Philadelphia, the Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, and with the civil rights firm Kairys, Rudovsky, Messing & Feinberg LLP. In addition, she served as Editor in Chief of Volume 16 of the Tulane Journal of Law & Sexuality.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Deportation Defense
- Immigration Consequences of Criminal Convictions
- Tulane Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana
- J.D. - 2007
- Haverford College
- B.A., Concentration: Latin American and Iberian Studies - 2002
- Major: Spanish
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Lawyer's Guild
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- AILA Northern California Chapter Liaison with local ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations
- Lawyer Referral and Immigration Service
- Pro Bono Attorney Service for the San Francisco Immigration Court
- Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area, Asylum Program, Pro Bono Attorney Mentor
Past Employment Positions
- Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, Tacoma, Washington, Staff Attorney