Katherine M. Lewis
Katherine Lewis graduated with high honors from the University of North Carolina School of Law in 2006 and graduated summa cum laude from the University of Delaware with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Economics in 2001.
Ms. Lewis joined Van Der Hout, Brigagliano & Nightingale, LLP in 2011. Prior to joining Van Der Hout, Brigagliano & Nightingale, she practiced immigration law for three years as an associate at the Law Office of Robert B. Jobe in San Francisco, where she represented individuals in immigration matters before the federal courts, the administrative agencies, and the Department of Homeland Security. From 2006-2007, Ms. Lewis served as a Judicial Law Clerk/Attorney Advisor with the U.S.Department of Justice, Executive Office for Immigration Review, at the Los Angeles Immigration Court, as part if the Attorney General's Honors Program.
While in law school, Ms. Lewis researched for a book written by Professor Hiroshi Motomura about the history of immigration law, Americans in Waiting: The Lost Story of Immigration and Citizenship in the United States and served as the president of the Immigrants Outreach Project. During law school, Ms. Lewis also volunteered for a summer at the Women's Legal Centre, a South African non-profit organization engaged in women's rights impact litigation and interned at the public defender's office in Orange County, North Carolina. Prior to law school, Ms. Lewis spent two years as a fellow and senior researcher at the Center for Public Integrity, a Washington, D.C.-based non-profit organization dedicated to investigative journalism.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Deportation Defense
- Family-Based Immigration
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Juris Doctorate - 2006
- Honors: With High Honors
- University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware
- B.A. summa cum laude - 2001
- Major: Political Science/Economics
Professional Associations and Memberships
- California State Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
Past Employment Positions
- Law Office of Robert B. Jobe in San Francisco, Associate
- U.S. Department of Justice, Executive Office for Immigration Review, Los Angeles Immigration Court, Judicial Law Clerk/Attorney Advisor, 2006 - 2007